Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Who was Uncle George?

My grandfather, Elva Franklin (EF) Jackson was born in Greenbrier County, West Virginia in 1888. While I have learned much about his parents, siblings, and extended family, I know little about the people that lived in the area and even on the farm with EF's family. This is one of the few photos I have of my grandfather as a child. It was taken sometime around 1900.


My mom tells me the man seated at the house was known to EF and his siblings as Uncle George. The child in the doorway is his granddaughter. Mom said he was a share-crop farmer that had lived on the farm prior to my grandfathers family.  For 2016, I hope to find out exactly who Uncle George was and who his family is. Hopefully, I can provide this photograph to Uncle George's family.

I have started to look at the records I do have. The 1880 census lists a man named George Brown, aged 24 on the same page as EF's father, James Madison Jackson. That seems a little young for this to be the same George. The man in the photo appears to be much older than 48-50 by 1900.

The 1900 census does not list a George Brown near the Jackson family but does list a John Lewis, age 50, widowed, with a son and daughter. Maybe this is a relative of John Lewis?

Unfortunately, the 1890 census for the majority of the US was destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment